Blog: Functions - The Heart of Kotlin
Day 6! Today I dove into Functions, and I’m starting to see why Kotlin developers talk so much about "expressiveness."
Goodbye Boilerplate
In Java, if you want a function with optional parameters, you usually have to write multiple overloads. Kotlin says "no thanks" and gives us Default Parameters. You define the default once, and you’re done.
Even better, when calling them, you can use Named Arguments. No more guessing which boolean flag is which in setup(true, false, true, false). You can just write setup(enabled = true, visible = false).
Elegant One-Liners
For simple logic, Kotlin has Single-Expression Functions. Instead of a block with a return statement, you just use =. It’s simple, but it makes the code look so much cleaner.
The Magic of Lambdas
Then there are Lambdas. They are like little portable chunks of code. The Trailing Lambda syntax is a game-changer for readability. Look at this:
repeatN(3) {
println("Hello!")
}
repeatN is just a function I wrote, but it looks like a built-in part of the language!
Summary
Kotlin functions aren't just about doing work; they are about doing it with style and safety. I'm especially impressed by how easily these complex features play with Java via @JvmOverloads.
Check out the full technical breakdown!
Comments
Post a Comment